Here are the most frequent oral health advantages that people who have documented and shared their oil pulling experiences.
- Improved oral health – Oil pulling helps to cleanse and detoxify the oral cavity, which can improve oral health overall.
- Whiter teeth – The oil attracts and absorbs toxins from the oral cavity, which can help to whiten teeth over time. I did some before and
- Stronger gums – The toxins that are pulled out of the mouth can also weaken gum tissue. Oil pulling can help to strengthen gums and reduce the risk of gum disease.
- Fresher breath – Oil pulling helps to remove bacteria and plaque from the mouth, which can help to reduce bad breath and cavities.
There are several additional non-traditional and hard-to-prove advantages. Treating cancer, detoxifying the body, curing heart disease, and so on are a few of them. I have not experienced any of these unusual benefits, and there is no real research or knowledge to support it.
Oil pulling also has some drawbacks, like any other activity. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Coconut allergy – If you are allergic to coconut oil, oil pulling might not be for you. With that said, it is possible to oil pull with other oils like sesame seed oil and olive oil. The difference is that it might not be as pleasant as coconut oil and that it might not have the same inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Loosening of fillings and crowns – It might cause fillings and crowns that aren’t fitted properly to come undone. Because oil is also a lubricant, your crown or filling may fall out as a result of the oil. I saw a lot of people refuting this point online but from personal experience, it occurred to one of the cavity fillings I received as a kid. As I was oil pulling, I noticed a white spiky chunk, which was one of my back cavity fillings.
- It takes time – Oil pulling takes 20 minutes of your day AND it is something that you need to do daily. Luckily the act of oil pulling only uses your mouth so you can do it while you’re doing other things like cleaning, watching TV, or taking a shower.
- It’s not a one-time quick-fix solution – Despite the fact that you will obtain some of the advantages after using oil pulling for a week or two, it’s through long-term daily consistency that you’ll maintain those benefits.
There are many people online that have shared their experience with oil pulling. Curious as to what my experience was with oil pulling?